Wednesday, August 13, 2008

iPhone Disappointment Alert

No, I'm not going to start dissing the iPhone overall. In fact I love mine - there I said it! But there are a few issues that to me are major shortcomings. I'm going to blog a few of these so others considering a purchase - and it isn't a cheap one taking service into account - can be as well informed as possible.

Today's complaint is about the horridly anemic Alert sound. In my case this is specifically a problem on meeting reminders. My previous Crackberry and Windows Mobile 5/6 devices provided robust reminders - distinctive sounds that would repeat for some time in order to get your attention.

The iPhone's Alert sound, which cannot be changed, is first of all barely at the level of a beep even on the loudest setting. Even worse it only sounds once! Unbelievable to the point of rendering the iPhone useless as a reminder device. The only workaround is to manually add Alarms in the Clock application. Alarms have a pretty robust sound which is configurable. So I know Apple knows how to do this Alert thing properly if they chose to...

No comments: