Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spam be Gone???

I've seen several reports lately, such as this one, about spam machines being cut off.This kind of news has been reported in the past and I never paid much attention to it since my spam has been ever increasing. 

This time I'm a believer. My various anti-spam tools had been showing a running accumulation of junk mail totaling around 1,000 items - stashed neatly in a single folder to smolder and then be sent to oblivion on a rolling basis after being in purgatory for 1 week. A few weeks ago the count suddenly dropped to under 500 and held there.

After this latest anti-spam effort my junk folder has - incredibly - fewer than 100 items. I can't remember when I've seen such little junk mail. I never pay much attention to the junk mail folder but the crap does slow things down and occasionally causes false "new mail" notifications and other minor annoyances. Plus I'm a neat freak and just hate junk. I'm quite happy by this turn of events! Wonder how long it will last?

2 comments:

harald said...

I've noticed this too; My "held message" reports from pobox.com are a single page these days, not the 2-3 pages from before!

The "experts" over on NANOG think that volumes will return to normal in "a few weeks", alas.

Ron said...

I'm sure the spammers will be creative enough to make a comeback. But I think the recent actions show there is a way to attack spam effectively...