Tuesday, January 6, 2009

MacWorld - Some exciting news on iLife...

When they started talking about iLife '09 I was completely uninterested because I stopped using iPhoto and moved to Aperture a year ago. Even the iMovie features weren't that interesting to me because my needs are pretty simple. Then - wham - they introduced the video image stabilization feature and that is enough to make me pay for the upgrade. No matter how good your camcorder's stabilization is there are times more is needed and it looks like iMovie '09 can deliver. This may also save me from buying another lens for my D90 as I don't have VR on a short lens (and VR is really needed for D90 video).

I already know how to play piano and guitar but am excited about the new GarageBand as it will be great for my kids, and others, as well as most likely generating a whole new revenue stream for Apple and artists (and of course Microslop will announce an imitation soon to be delivered some day in the distant future). Oh yea, the new feature is "Learn to Play" which can teach you to play basic piano and guitar via video lessons and on screen examples. But wait, there is more. It includes lessons from famous musicians on how to play some of their songs. Folks like Sarah McLachlan, Sting, Norah Jones, and One Republic. You can bet this is gonna generate a whole new class of YouTube videos... You know, I bet my wife will even give this feature a try...

Upgrade price of $79 for the whole suite is sweet!

No comments: